Whether you are just some lazy homeowner who wants to keep the garden well-tended or you are a corporate mogul with an intention of cashing in on a business opportunity, Lawn Mower’s choice matter a lot.
Talking of the Best Self Propelled Lawn Mower, the need for convenience, strength, and the right punch when it comes to power has in most cases overshadowed the choice of the most appropriate Lawn Mowers based on price.
It is for this reason that the Lawn Mowers have exhibited themselves in diverse shades which have seen the Self Propelled mowers taking their rightful place in the market. However, you are likely to encounter Self Propelled Lawn Mowers and the best Lawn Mowers.
Because of the intricate nature of the Self Propelled Electric Lawn Mowers in the market, we have ventured into our site to give you an opening as to which of the features you may look at, or to be precise which of the Self Propelled Lawn Mowers would suit your needs.
Why the use of Self Propelled Lawn Mowers?
Because of the complexities are seen with the push behind electric Lawn Mowers especially with the problem of turning, Self Propelled mowers were made to be able to make a complete mowing without the need for turning.
Though majorities are walk behinds, the detail is in the operational nature as they are considered to make the user to do less work compared to the other push behind mowers.
With the overall destructive nature of the gas powered mowers and the delicate nature of the electric cord, where the Lawn Mower tramples on it- in the corded electric Lawn Mowers, the need to have some solution was never farfetched.
Self Propelled Electric Lawn Mowers are additionally known to have their own setting on tractions, which allows for their movement without the need to trample on the power cord. This is achieved as the cord is kept only to one side as it mows.
In fact, the majority of the Lawn Mowers in this range border so much on the cordless electric Lawn Mowers whose use of the remote control feature has never failed the notice of Lawn Mower lovers, though the corded ones are also available.
Short reviews of rated Self Propelled Lawn Mowers in the market
Some of the notable Self Propelled Lawn Mowers in the market, albeit being dominated by the gas powered ones include:
Lawn-Boy 10732 Kohler XT6 OHV, Rear Wheel Drive Self Propelled Gas Lawn Mower, 21-Inch
With 2 point height off cut system and a 21 inch steel deck, you are better off tending your lawn with this lawn mowing device. The unique torque/OHV engine backed by the self drive and self propel designed wheels and the Kohler 149cc/ 6. 5-lbs give the Lawn Mower enough punch to work through your lawn.
However, looking at the tru-start commitment by the manufacturer which allows for the free fixing of the lawn boy lawn machine, the feeling that you are in the right hands can’t elude you. Additionally, you are bound to literally fall for this lawn mowing machine as it is lightweight yet sizable. Not to mention its pricing, this is rather friendly to the user’s pocket.
Honda HRR216K9VKA 3-in-1 Variable Speed Self-Propelled Gas Mower with Auto Choke
Because it needs no extra tools and attachments, this electric Lawn Mower is perfectly fit for its range. Look at the, 12 ga steel deck for durability, the ease of starting, and the variable speed which allows the machine to be set to the desire of the user.
Added to these are diverse in-built attachments of the mulching bag, discharge mechanisms, and diverse micro cut blades that make you assured of getting your lawn just in its perfect condition. Moreover, it is the 8 inch ball bearing on its wheels that allow for its ease of navigation. It is additionally the 2. 4 inch Bushnell bag and the comfortable handles that allow the user to experience just the peace of mind in the course of its use.
As if that is not enough, the high level of compliance with the diverse electric Lawn Mower standards, the auto choke feature, the ease of storage – thanks to its size and the 2 position handle, using the mower becomes as easy as ABC. This is equally one of the safest electric mowers as it switches off the moment the flywheel lever is shut down.
Honda HRR216K9VKA 3-in-1 Variable Speed Self-Propelled Gas Mower with Auto Choke
The 22 inch 3 in 1 steel built mower has never brought the better taste to the mower users. Adorning a hand gcv160 160cc engine with 4 cycles OHV, you can rest pretty knowing that your lawn will be tended to, no matter the obstacle.
Moreover, the 8 inch ball bearings on the wheels ensure that the Self Propelled mower lives up to its billing of ease of movement. Though this comes as one of the many gas powered Self Propelled mowers, it is the options of the side discharge and mulch which sets the original pace. That is not to mention the fact that you are literally in control as the mower user as the process takes its course.
The fact that this Self Propelled mower is one easy implement to use and even cleanout after use is never in doubt, thanks to the presence of the washout port. However, it’s the auto walk Self Propelled rear wheels which will give the user the real feel of what Self Propelled really entail. The user safety and comfort are not remote here as the 3 position adjustment handle allows the user to have its use well taken care of as the mowing progresses.
As is notable on our site, the larger than life reputation which the Black & Decker SPCM1936 19 Inch 36Volt mower has built makes it a viable alternative from the mainstream rated Self Propelled Lawn Mowers
The Lawn Mowers strength stem from the use of a rechargeable battery bringing out the advantage of pollution free use beneficial to the environment. Additionally, the 36 volt battery makes the runtime of the mower to be longer, though when it gets depleted, recharging it is inevitable.
Types of Self Propelled Lawn Mowers
Though the classification of Self Propelled Lawn Mowers is in most cases based on the source of their power, just like we had observed in most of the types of mowers we have featured on the Lawn Mower judge, the nature of operation usually makes the ultimate cut.
The Self Propelled Lawn Mowers categorized in this regard include:
- Rear wheel mowers – these are usually used in areas with good topography as areas with uneven topography as they are known for their power. They can also be good if you want to use other accessories on the lawn. These types of mowers are characterized by adjustable wheels.
- Front wheel mowers – these are ideal for areas which are well tended with short grass and flat topography. They are not ideal for areas which may need the mower to make several turns. In most cases, they have small wheels.
On the basis of the power source, the following categories of Self Propelled mowers include:
The Gas powered
These are known to derive their power from the gas power. They are the most common among the majority with small lawns to tend. For instance, just like the majority of Self Propelled mowers from the diverse brands dealing with gas powered mowers.
The Husqvarna 961450023 HU700H Honda 160cc 3-in-1, Lawn-Boy 10732 Kohler Rear Wheel Drive Self Propelled Gas Walk Behind Mower and Honda HRR216K9VKA 3-in-1 Variable Speed Self-Propelled Gas Mower are regarded as some of the most effective mowers .
- They are generally efficient when it comes to clearing the lawn.
- Most of the mowers of this range are made with no choke.
- The wheel adjustment feature makes it rather easy to use.
- They are made for all purpose mulching and bagging operations.
- Most Lawn Mowers of this kind are fuel efficient.
- At times, the bagging parts are made of plastic on most of the mowers making them weak.
- Like in the majority of gas powered mowers, the likelihood of environmental degradation is real.
Electric Self Propelled mowers
These are the opposite of the gas powered Self Propelled mowers as they rely on the use of the electric current. They may be regarded as corded, where the use of an electric cord to draw the power is used or cordless where the battery is concerned.
- Environmentally sound as they have fewer emissions.
- The corded Self Propelled mowers have more power.
- They are easy to use.
- Usually less heavy on the user.
- The cable is known to cause lots of problems.
- They are costly, where the cost of maintenance is considered.
When & where to buy
Gas powered Self Propelled mowers are ideal for use in winter as they have enough torque to go through long grass. However, the best time to buy a Self Propelled Lawn Mower is when you have assessed your needs and is convinced that only a Self Propelled mower can suit your needs. An electric Self Propelled mower is ideal for your use in all seasons though care must be taken to ensure that the appliance has less contact with water.
For purchases, retail outlets like Amazon and eBay have been the darling of most of those who wish to buy this type of mower. The main reason has been the lucrative shipment and discounts they give to the customers. However, you can rest assured that the store by the street which stock mowers may also have these mowers within your reach.
Where to use
Like in most of electric Lawn Mowers, using these appliances in areas that are soggy may reduce their lifespan as water may destroy the motor. However, they can be good for longer grass, areas with bends and obstacles.
Gas powered Self Propelled mowers are good for use on small to medium sized lawns with fairly long grass as well as relatively larger lawns as the bagging and side discharges on the mower allow for their efficient mowing. However, the choice of the lawn deck size to use solely depends on the size of the lawn.
Self Propelled Lawn Mowers can be quite efficient in hilly or sloped terrains but care should be taken in the course of their use to avoid tipping over. Their overall ease of use as ride behinds makes them a perfect candidate if the user is aged and frail.
Factors to consider when choosing a self-propelled Lawn Mower
Like we had seen on the other buying guides for electric Lawn Mowers, the choice of the right Self Propelled gas or electric Lawn Mower may depend on certain specific facts. Some of the areas to look for in choosing the right Self Propelled Lawn Mower for your garden may include:
While the Self Propelled Lawn Mowers may seem to look alike in their operations, they differ in design. The wheeling design usually determines whether the Lawn Mower will really work for you, especially considering the nature of your lawn.
For instance, the front wheel Self Propelled Lawn Mowers may be ideal for well made lawn surfaces unlike their rear wheel mower counterparts which can work on any surface. However, for those who love making turns, the rear wheel may be ideal while the front wheel mowers will be ideal where the course is rather straight.
The additional attachments
Just like in all the appliances you may wish to have, the Self Propelled mowers will be good if they came with an extra amount of different attachments like the bagging and mulching features.
Features like the soft handlebars, the wheels and the washout ports found on some Self Propelled Lawn Mowers may be vital in relieving them of the extra baggage of grass which may get attached to the blade and end up destroying the mower engine.
The engine torque
Like we have mentioned in the electric Lawn Mower guides, these are never different as the issue of engine power plays an important role. The electric Self Propelled mowers need to have a start button that is conveniently placed. The gas powered Self Propelled Lawn Mowers are better off when fitted with a four cycle engine which reduces the inconveniences seen with the gas fuel use.
Your lawn determines the kind of Self Propelled mower you buy. The grass length requires that you have a Lawn Mower with variable height adjustments and at times speed settings.
In addition, the nature of the lawn you have whether it’s well made or an area full of obstacles will determine whether you are buying a rear wheel or front wheel Self Propelled Lawn Mower.
However, unlike in the case of the electric Lawn Mower, the conglomeration of gas power makes the Self Propelled mowers to have no issue where the obstacle is within the moving surface of the mower.
This plays the most central role in the determination of buyer tastes and preferences. Just like in the case with pure electric Lawn Mowers, Self Propelled mowers are usually priced depending on the power. This however does not mean that there are no cheaper yet effective Self Propelled Lawn Mowers in the market.
The physical state of the user
While the Self Propelled mowers have been praised for making the life of the user easier, the choice of the size of the mower in relation to its weight needs to be given careful thought. This is not to jeopardize the well-being of the user.
The Self Propelled Lawn Mower user guide
There are no stark differences on how to use the Self Propelled Lawn Mowers from the usual practices. Nevertheless, for the purposes of guidance, there are specifics, which are only unique to the Self Propelled Lawn Mowers. Some of which may be in the following user areas:
How to get started with Self Propelled mower
Before use, check the engine condition by ensuring it is connected to the electric grid or has gas adequate for the job. Start the engine and look for any signs of abnormal behavior before embarking on use.
Take cautionary measures by wearing the correct protective clothing. Ensure that the use follows the set guidelines to be safe from accidents. Never stick your hands on the engine when it is on.
The nature of the mowing project
Depending on the terrain and size of the lawn, use a Self Propelled mower that fits the billing of your project. For instance, longer grass may need a more powerful mower which may push for either gas or electric ones.
How often should the mower be used?
The mower may be used as often as the lawn manager desires. During the wet season, mowing the lawn as often in a span of close to two weeks within the intervals to avoid allowing the grass to grow is advisable.
The dry season lawn mowing can take place at intervals of 4 weeks. However, overall, mowing times need to be set at times when the rain or dew is not there to avoid destruction to the motor.
Storage and mobility
Ensure the wheels are of the correct size, well fitted, and oiled to allow movement. After use, ensure the mower is serviced and stored in a cool dry place, away from direct sunlight and rain.
The cost of the majority of self-propelled Lawn Mowers differs depending on the place of purchase and the diverse accessories fitted on it. It is upon the one buying to look at the budget, need and the size of lawn to determine the one to buy.
Accessories and attachments
The majorities of these mowers being drive on and walk behinds work with some accessories and attachments including; the seating area, the mower handle, the bagging, mulching and discharge, the washout port, the power cord, the battery compartment, and a replaceable blade.
Lawn Mower user tips
Using Self Propelled Lawn Mower requires a lot of concentration from the user. What is important is that the user ensures good practices which include:
- Because of the common nature of accidents on the slopes, riding Self Propelled mowers on steep slopes may not be advisable.
- It is additionally important for the one using the mower to ensure that the engine is switched off at every instant a problem is detected, especially when the engine vibrates.
- The mowing direction needs to be observed with care for slope, stop the mower engine at any instance the user is not feeling comfortable.
- Care should be taken not to knock the mower on the visible obstacles.
The Self Propelled mower use is associated with some key terms which may need the user’s attention:
- Battery runtime is the average time a Self Propelled mower may work with the battery before it needs recharging.
- Torque-the power of the engine motor, usually in Amps.
- Blade dry belts- usually, this is the area where the Lawn Mower belt is located, and at times, it is prone to destruction when the mower is in use.
Essential controls of a Self Propelled Lawn Mower
Self Propelled Lawn Mower usually works with the handlebars and the speed controls, which are essentially what every buyer needs to bear in mind. The control levers are usually used in releasing brakes and ensuring that movement proceeds unabated. The height and grass clipping controls are also some important areas of use.
How a Self Propelled Lawn Mowers work
Self Propelled Lawn Mowers whether electric or gas powered is known to be driven through traction which usually allows the mower to move effortlessly without the user having to exert force.
However, being walk behind appliances, it’s not uncommon to find cases where some effort is needed on the lawn. It is usually through the traction force that makes the movement of the mower is made smoother, apart from the belief that the force would impede it.
Honda Self Propelled Lawn Mower
Electric Self Propelled Lawn Mowers
Like we have it on other articles on our site, the electric Self Propelled Lawn Mower repair and maintenance may not be different from the other convectional electric Lawn Mowers.
Gas Self Propelled Lawn Mowers
Gas powered Self Propelled Lawn Mowers need regular cleaning to remove soot and removal of grass blades from its cutting blade. Oil spills on the engine for this category needs to be wiped as well as the replacement of the used oil on the Lawn Mower engine, which is not seen on the electric mowers.
The importance of maintenance
- To allow the Self Propelled mower work effectively.
- To make work easy.
- To enable the mower last for longer.
- For the sake of the user being safe.
The repair and cleaning process
- Always ensure that the hands are protected by wearing appropriate gloves.
- The engine needs to be off by ensuring that any of the plugs are disconnected.
- Dislodge the grass from the blade; you can use the washout port to expel the struck grass.
- Check for any open cables, leaks on the gas tank or any other thing which needs attention.
- Repair all the destroyed parts in the course of mowing.
- Sharpen the blades
- Tighten the blades to ensure that they are in perfect condition.
Purpose of cleaning
The reasons for cleaning the Self Propelled Lawn Mower is just the same as the initial reasons we had looked at on the electric Lawn Mower. However, the encompassing nature of both electric and gas powered mowers makes cleaning important for the purposes of:
- Removal of soot from the gas powered engine.
- Clearing the soil and grass from the blades.
- To aid repair and maintenance.
The don’ts on the Self Propelled Lawn Mower use that ruin performance
- Attempting to adjust the height when the engine is on.
- Using an electric Self Propelled Lawn Mower on the rain.
- Never stopping when the blade hits an obstacle.
- Failing to conduct regular repairs.
How to re-assemble the lawn machine after repair
While this may not be any different, ensure that each part is returned to its original place with new fitting placed right at the point where it should be. Tighten all bolts and oil the movable parts. Switch on the engine and have a feel of the engine, if anything is abnormal, switch it off and check again.
Cautions for cleaning and use
- Always wear gloves before cleaning.
- Never clean the mower when the engine is still on.
- Keep your hands off the sharp blades.
- Ensure that water does not come in contact with the motor.
- Dry the cleaned areas and apply oil on movable parts to avoid rusting.
- Use the mower only after reading the user manual.
- Ensure that the Self Propelled mowers are kept under shade, away from direct sunlight and rain to avoid rusting and destruction to the motor for the electric mowers.
- Ensure that the bolts and nuts as well as the broken blades are replaced and tightened before the mower is stored for the next use.
- Do not store the mower before oiling movable parts.
- For gas mowers, ensure the engine tank is filled and oiled as well. All lawn engines are never to be stored empty as they may corrode. Fill the tank up to 95% with stabilized fuel to be safe.
Disconnecting the Self Propelled unit from the mower
The self drive belt which comprises pulleys van be disconnected and therefore disables the Self Propelled nature of a Self Propelled Lawn Mower. You need to disable the engine before going for the spark plug to avoid injuries. For gas powered mowers, you need to ensure that the fuel doesn’t spill. Release the nuts and bolts; disengage the belts and reinstall the rest of the mower.
Self Propelled Lawn Mower troubleshooting tips
Some of the things to do if you find problems with a Self Propelled Lawn Mower engine include:
- When the power cable won’t work, check if it’s worn out or broken and replace it.
- If the lawn is sloppy and the mower stops abruptly, check the gas tank, it’s likely the fuel went to one side.
- For issues with the speed of the mower, ensure the drive pulley belt or the shift lever cable are checked.
- For issues with handle height, just adjust the height to your desire.
- If the mower vibrates, check the blade or the overall engine mounting.
- Issues with un-uniform cut get the wheels adjusted and replace the mower blade.
- Check the start plug if the mower stops and the issue is not grass build up or the above concerning gas.
Self Propelled Lawn Mower frequently asked questions (FAQs)
- Why are they called Self Propelled?
This name is mainly derived from the fact that they make no turns in the course of their maneuverability unlike some of their counterparts who need to make turns.
- What is the average runtime of a good Self Propelled mower?
For the recorded, most of the battery powered Self Propelled Lawn Mowers have clocked around 60 minutes, which is impressive
- Where is the Self Propelled Lawn Mower belt located?
Though usually located to the left side of the mower, you will find it in some mowers in the areas below the blade.
- What is the effect of bagging on Self Propelled Lawn Mowers?
When grass sticks on the blade or the wheel, the Lawn Mower can be one of the most difficult objects. Bagging makes the use of the Self Propelled mower to be convenient.
- How do blade drive belts affect the operations of a Self Propelled mower?
Because this is a common feature on the blades of Self Propelled lawns, its effect can be seen with the resistance seen on the grass during mowing. It is meant to increase the intensity of the mowing.
- What are the key advantages of the Self Propelled mowers over the others?
The Self Propelled Lawn Mowers being walk behinds make the mowing work easy. The speed variability allows the user to have control of the pace unlike the other mowers. Moreover, the fact that they offer the user choice of power source and the options of bagging or mulching makes their use quite desirable.
Finding the best Self Propelled Lawn Mowers for the money may be the solution to the diverse ups and downs witnessed with the Lawn Mowers in the market. The delicate part is usually getting the right mower for the scope of mowing you may intend to undertake.
However, with the guide that we have looked at on our site, we can give guidance on the right manner to go about the selection and buying process. The user needs to make the decision, with an open mind without appearing to be coerced in any way.