The concern with the levels of pollution has been quite high. Most world governments are enacting several unique laws to be able to stop the ever spiraling cost of pollution. Ranging from the high levels of waste blockages on riverbeds, the ever increasing pesticide levels in the oceans and the new concern with the emissions into the atmosphere, the list is growing each day.
Motor vehicle use was one of the areas which were identified to cause high levels of air pollution. In this regard, the Californian state enacted regulations that cars have to be fitted with diagnostic scans-popular as OBD scan tools. While most vehicles of the modern time are fitted with the gadgets, the gasoline powered lawn mowers have been cited to lack them.
It is in this area where the electric lawn mower was identified to have that advantage over the gasoline powered mowers which have been highly criticized for their high pollution rates. Gasoline powered lawn mowers have the following areas of pollution:
Smoke from the exhaust
Exhaust fumes from the gas powered lawn mowers have been known to bellow in the horizon as the lawn mowing exercise proceeds. This smoke which is in most cases remnants of the diesel fuel is regarded to be quite dangerous for the respiratory health of animals while causing blockages on the pores on plant leaves, a case which results to black deposits.
The exhaust fumes are in addition regarded to be the largest causes of the depletion of the ozone layer, an important part of the atmosphere. The concentration of the exhaust fumes in and around your lawn thus may not be an ideal case when you are yearning for the fresh feel on the lawn.
Unlike the electric lawn mowers which are rather quiet and may not cause any form of disturbance, the gasoline powered mowers are known for their hooting sound. Their use is therefore prescribed only at certain times of the day as it may cause friction between neighbors.
Oily mess on the lawn
While the use of tractor drawn gas powered lawn mowers may seem to be fast, the reality only dawns when the user finally needs to clean the mower. Most of them are characterized by some dirty spills which in turn leave the lawn mower user quite dirty. The oil may in most cases be quite counterproductive as it may penetrate into the skin pores of the user making the lawn mower user to develop various cases of skin ailments.
However, the biggest concern is usually in the area of making the grass dirty with the black oily deposits spreading all over, especially if the machine has malfunctions on its tank. The overall result has in most cases been that the oil spills kill small animals which may need to thrive within the lawn.
Drainage blockages and destruction of the natural life
While the case of blockages may not be so serious a matter of pollution, the resultant effect is what has made many environmentalists wondering. Majority of the cases of flooding with the first rains has been attributed mainly to the cases of grass deposits on the drain pipes, especially when the gas powered mowers which do not have bagging area and mulchers are used.
This high level of flooding has in the recent past caused huge damages especially in urban centers where houses have been literally swept away, especially in the United States. This is not to forget the overall effect that the wheels of the gas powered mowers have on the soil where they literally obliterate the grass on their path.
While the aim of using lawn mowers is intended to create an aesthetic touch, this may not be the case with the gas powered mowers given their size and mode of operation. It is mainly because of the fact that most of the gas powered mowers are ride on, which then do not require high levels of precision seen on the electric lawn mowers in the market.
What makes the electric lawn mower your ideal companion?
The era of electric lawn mower use has been greeted with pomp and color, especially with the several environmentalists who are all on the sprawl championing for the use of clean implements. There are several reasons why the electric lawn mower is very highly regarded in this sector. Some of these include;
- They are easy to clean – because the electric lawn mowers have this thing with lack of smoke and oil, washing them is easy as it only requires wiping them. When compared to the oil filled gas powered lawn mowers, and then these mowers would win the Nobel Prize for cleanliness.
- Environmentally friendly
- The cases of emission has forced most environmental regulators to adopt diverse strategies in dealing with the menace. The electric lawn mowers do not need the fitting of the diagnostic scan machines seen with the cars on the road, which the gas powered mowers may need to be fitted with.
- The additional fact that the electric lawn mowers are lightweight and may not have that effect on the grass as seen with the heavy gas powered lawn mowers is a special attribute to be proud of. The conservation aspect of these electric lawn mowers can never be underrated in the long run.
- Economically viable
- while most environmental policies are adopting the sustainable energy use, gas is never sustainable and is found to be depleted. Electric lawn mower use offers the users with clean yet sustainable energy for use on the lawn. Moreover, the use of the electric lawn mowers has been considered to be friendly to the user’s pocket environment as well.
- This fact has in the long run made the lawn management practice to be something worth venturing into by many people interested in the conservation as well as keeping the lawn clean. To cap it all, buying the electric lawn mower could be cheaper in comparison to the gas powered mowers yet they can span areas never reachable by the gas powered mowers. Take the case of cleanliness on the lawn which is in most cases guaranteed by most of these electric lawn mowers fitted with the bagging and mulching characteristics.
The use of gas powered mowers is still quite common especially in the larger lawns. However, if you are managing the small home lawns, having them is not worth the trouble. Electric lawn mowers would do this job better in such smaller lawns.
Pollution aspect, which is associated with them, has been what most pundits have quoted in the course of discouraging the use of gas mowers. You can make your pick among the numerous electric lawn mowers in the market; they are bound to save you a lot in terms of reducing the economic burden of lawn management.