While the acquisition of the best electric lawn mower could seem to be the main issue with the majority, which has left most lawns unattended to, using them is another. But in most cases, using electric lawn mowers is rather an easy task if one learnt just how to.
That is not what most people in the market do. Most people not want to learn as the majority of the mowers in the market at this time are known to be the push behind lawn mowers which at any given moment may need the physical input of the user and the use battery or a power cord.
Though the cordless electric lawn mowers are never left behind, they are quite rare and expensive to run, though would be considered more convenient than their counterparts. Using the push behind electric lawn mowers is therefore a physical demanding undertaking which many would love to hate yet easy at the same time.
Essential controls of an electric lawn mower
The manufacturer of diverse electric lawn mowers in the market has seen the introduction of different crops of electric lawn mowers, all meant to make the work quite convenient. Most of the push behind electric lawn mowers comes fitted with several other controls which are meant to help ease the burden of use.
Some of the most common control mechanisms of electric lawn mowers include the following:
- The snap safety cutout switch – this is in most cases used to stop the operation of the electric lawn mower blade while the mower is still running. The cutout switch is important for the good of the lawn mower as it ensures that the user enjoys the use of the lawn mower without being disturbed by obstacles.
The cutout switch thus helps with the keeping of the electric mower blade at its best while the use may need to maneuver the obstacles. When the area where the mower is hovering is not to be mowed, the best thing is to pass to the next point, which is what the electric lawn mower ids made to be, convenient.
- Control levers – these are in most cases also found just next to where the cutout switch is and is done by hand. These levers are important in determining the mowing height. There are instances when the grass may be too tall and so the mower has to be set to mow at intervals to preserve the blade.
- Rear roller – while the mowing is done through the electric lawn mower blade, the presence of areas roller has in most cases been found to help with the flattening of the longer grass as the mowing takes place, this makes mowing taller grass.
The roller thus controls the amount of grass in terms of height to be mowed without necessarily having to hinder the mowing itself. In addition, in cases where the lawn mower has no roller, cases of unbalancing is quite common, the roller is also a point of stability in most of the lawn mowers.
- Electric power take off – which exempts the user from manual appliance engagement as it is the electric blade engagement point.
- Wheels – the most visible area of control on most of the electric lawn mowers we have in the market is the wheels. The mower wheels help in allowing them move around efficiently. Electric lawn mowers are fitted with wheels as either four-wheel drives or just single drive lawn mowers.
The rear wheeled lawn mowers are good if you need to have efficiency in the course of the mowing. The wheels allow for the ease of collection of the cut grass and so leavers your lawn clean and tidy. The single drives are in some cases quite hard to maneuver especially when the grass cut is tall.
The four – wheel drive lawn mowers have been known to be quite efficient in all situations as the wheels are able to go through obstacles without any problem. Most of these are what the majority of the electric lawn mowers are made to feature, especially w3ith the powerful motor which they are usually made with.
- Electric cord – for the corded electric lawn mower, the power cord is one of the areas of control as it determines how far the user goes. Ensuring that the cord is never tangled as it is used is important. In most cases, there are different techniques used in ensuring that the cord remains as good.
The most common technique is ensuring that you work away from the cord. This is easier done by taking the slightest movements at each moment of mowing and so the mower cord doesn’t have to be moving at all times.
How to use an electric lawn mower
Depending on which type of an electric lawn mower you are using, the user process may differ. The use of corded electric lawn mowers require the presence of a long enough electric power cord which may need to be plugged into the power source from time t time to ease its operations.
Cordless electric lawn mower have been attributed to work with batteries in spite of appearance in the market of some remote controlled robotic lawn mowers, whose source of power stem from recharged cells and chips.
Most of the electric lawn mowers in the market are additionally push behind mowers which require the physical input of the user in the course of the work. Because of the nature of electric lawn mowers, learning how to use them beforehand then is the most ideal thing.
The user process of any electric lawn mower can in most cases be summed up as:
- Powering the mower by plugging it onto the electric socket r replacing the batteries.
- Running it or hovering it on the lawn.
- Collecting the grass mowed, emptying the lawn mower bag.
- After use service.
If the mower to be used is a corded one, the important thing to ensure is that it is plugged into the socket. For push behind lawn mowers, the process of pushing need to be in such a way that the mower works away from the power cord to ensure that it remains in good shape.
Replacing the batteries on the battery powered mower is the first step at ensuring that the electric mower of this type remains in business for as long as you may need it to be. In addition to this, if the battery is tom be recharged, then this need to be beforehand.
Electric lawn mowers of remote nature are still not common in use but are easy in a sense that you can have the lawn mower from the comfort of your chair. These remote devices though are made to work within certain areas which the user must predetermine before.
The push behind lawn mowers therefore, in as much as they are seen to be energy intensive on the user, they are better off because they can also pass though obstacles. The additional fact that these mowers collect grass as they mow makes the emptying of the bag a necessary evil.
This is mainly because, in some instances, the user may find the process of emptying the bag quite hectic and may not be to the taste of the user, especially where getting dirty is concerned. However, some have good capacities and may only need this to be done occasionally.
The addition of the wash mechanism in some of the electric lawn mowers in the market makes their use quite convenient. The washing mechanism allows the blades to be freed from tangled grass pieces which may impede the mowing process.
For safety’s purposes, the area to be held on most of the push behind mowers is made from a cushioned material which makes it soft and quite friendly to the user’s hands. This may be lacking in some and so there are other cautions which any good meaning electric lawn mower user need to take.
For instance, electric lawn mowers use electric current in its operations, this therefore calls on the user to ensure that the motor is kept away from contact with water as much as possible because this may lead to electric short circuits.
In addition, there are moving parts on the electric lawn mowers which may not necessarily be run directly by the motor. The wheel for instance needs to be kept well oiled and lubricated to make the movement of the lawn mower easier.
At all times, the good user practices are what determines whether the electric lawn mower you have at home lasts for as long as you may need it or breaks down never to work again.
Where not to use an electric lawn mower
In spite of the power of the electric lawn mower and the overly presence in the market, there are certain areas and conditions when their use may not be recommended. Because of the maintenance practices on most of the electric lawn mowers, ensuring that the user manual is carefully read before the commencement of any user process is important.
Areas which may jeopardize the overall god of the lawn mower may not be recommended. It is therefore better if you avoided using your electric lawn mower in the following circumstances.
- Never use on soggy ground – the need to observe the lawn before buying an electric lawn mower partly stems from the fact that electric lawn mowers are not to be used in areas with lots of water. If water goes to the mower motor, the likelihood of the motor breaking down is quite high and so may make the mower to become obsolete.
If the mower in question is a coded one, then we need to care more because the cord may have some openings which can come into contact with are likely to be the result of causing shock or in some extreme cases fires. This additionally applies to those using the cordless electric mowers which are battery powered.
- Where the grass has more obstacles – most mowers may not be able to pass obstacles on their own. Majority of the push behind electric lawn mowers are found in this category and may need the engagement of the safety switch and levers where obstacles are. This is important to mower blade to make the obstacle are removed to avoid its destruction.
This fact is also in most cases seen where the grass is just tall above the capacity set for the mower. Do not over engage the mower beyond its set limits as this may make it break down. Though the mowing level settings are usually available, the fact that they are there does not mean you just use any electric lawn mower anywhere.
- Don’t go beyond the battery /power cord length – the major undoing of most of the corded electric lawn mowers is that they have a predetermined level of operation. When the power cord is over stretched, the possibility of it breaking is quite high.
In addition, the tangling of the electric lawn mower cord is primarily caused by the misuse of the power cord length which leads to them breaking down and so makes them obsolete. Though the lawn mower batteries are not usually cheap, they have a timeline and may also stop if the mowing is extended.
Some important tips when using electric lawn mowers
The complexity in the area of electric lawn mower use has made most people seeking for help when their machines have broken down. Many have never known that the use of electric lawn mowers may need prior preparation to be able to have success.
There are usually some golden tips which any good meaning user may need to have around him before commencing the use of any electric lawn mower. These may include:
- User manual reading – the importance of reading the user manual has never been underrated if you are to have success in the area of lawn mower use. It helps you to get to know some basic use areas before the commencement of use.
- Know where you are going to work – if you are hired to mow some lawn, it is only prudent to visit the lawn to be mowed in advance to make you have an idea of the size and condition. It will then give you an idea of what you are up to.
- Have a roller – in spite of some of the electric lawn mowers lacking it; the roller is quite vital if you are to mow an area with tall grass. The rear roller allows the user to have taller grass reduced in size and prepares one psychologically.
- Ensure the mower is in perfect working condition – the areas of blades and electric plugs needs to be checked before any mowing can commence. For the blades, sharpening them is important to be sure that they are up to the task.
- Wear protective clothing – mowing may have its own share of risks as some of the grass may seem sharp and may prick the user. The additional possibility that the handle of the push behind mower may not be too friendly to the hands, this calls for wearing of safety gloves, overalls and even boots when going to mow. In addition to the safety, young children should not be let near any electric lawn mower to play with. The risk of electric shock on these mowers is as reel as ever, especially when carelessly handled.
- Set the cutting edge level – this is in most cases referred to as the bed neck. It is what determines the level at which the lawn mower blade can go. Setting this then can allow you to work efficiently on bigger projects without putting the blade in jeopardy.
- Work away from the cord – if you are using corded electric lawn mowers, the most fundamental user tip is working away from the power cord. This allows the cord to be always free and then preserves it from the possibility of tangling and destruction.
- Clean the blades regularly – the washout port is in most cases meant to help with this. If this feature is lacking, the blades needs to be removed and cleaned manually.
Judging the use of any given electric lawn mower as easy or not may not be a straight forward thing, especially after looking at the intricate nature in which the user needs to take in the details before embarking on the use itself.
If one takes in the necessary precautions, the electric lawn mowers of any kind are usually found to be the easiest to use. Even for their crop of push behind mowers, they are usually easy to push around given the fact that their power source comes from elsewhere.
The motor on most of these lawn mowers are as powerful enough to make the work of the user quite simple, just going with the flow. It does not call for complacency as the surrounding risks of these mowers may just be as serious as those of the gas powered mowers which run an equal risk of fire breakouts.
Whichever way, take this easy; learn the ropes with careful anticipation and zeal. The ease or non ease of using the electric lawn mowers is a subject of psychology, you only need to have your instinct and trust it completely, and then using them will be like ABC as my teacher would put it.