It is always an eye soothing to have a green and fresh and beautiful lawn on your yard. However, keeping the lawn green and beautiful isn’t always easy, unless you’re using the best fertilizer spreader there is. You have to keep it in check, so that the weeds don’t take over your lawn, so that insects don’t start breeding, so that it always looks green and fresh. However easy it might sound, the work is anything but. Hence, we are here to lend a helping hand to you. We will be providing you with a proper guideline, so the daunting work of looking after your lawn becomes easy and joyful.
So first things first, what does your body need to function properly? The answer is food. The grass in your lawn isn’t much different. It needs food as well. However, since it can make its own food through the process of photosynthesis, all you need to provide them with a little bit of nudge, AKA fertilizers. But why? Let’s answer that very basic question first.
Does your lawn need fertilizers?
The answer is yes. For optimum growth, plants need various elements from the environment, and not all of them can be found everywhere. Even when the soil of your lawn is absolutely perfect and contains everything that a plant (or grass) could ever ask for, but with time the plants will absorb all the nutrients from the soil, and slowly the ground will become barren.
To prevent that from happening, you need to provide the lawn with adequate fertilizers, and you need to follow a fertilizing schedule. That is the only way your grass will remain healthy and fresh, which is the first thing you need to have a clean and beautiful lawn. After all, what is a lawn without green, healthy and juicy grass?
What kind of fertilizer spreader do you need?
To fertilize your lawn, the only thing you need except for fertilizers is a good fertilizer spreader. There are three types of fertilizer spreaders available in the market. They are as follows:
1) Push Spreader
2) Tow behind spreader
3) Handheld spreader
Now the question is, what type do you need?
If you have a very, very big lawn (Like a golf course, maybe?), you need a tow behind spreader. These spreaders are attached to a compatible tow truck or a similar vehicle, and the spreading mechanism starts working when the wheels turn. Hence these spreaders are very suitable for people who have extremely large lawns.
If your lawn is large, but getting a tow behind spreader would be a bit too much, then you should purchase a push spreaders. These spreaders are attached behind a push cart, and the spreading mechanism starts working when the wheels turn. Basically, you just need to walk around your lawn while pushing the cart. So for medium to somewhat big lawns, push spreaders might be an option.
If you have a tiny weeny lawn, the best option for you is a handheld spreaders. These are very handy when it comes to fertilizing a small lawn, and they are great for covering missed spots.
To sum up, you need to consider the size of your lawn before buying an actual fertilizer spreader. It is always important for your fertilizer spreader to be compatible with your lawn.
The biggest brand names
There are a number of very popular brands in the market of fertilizer spreaders. These include Scotts, Agri-fab, Earthway, Buyers, Chapin, Brinly, Field Tuff etc. All of these brands have their own features, and they are all good. But since we don’t want to settle for simply good products, we will be reviewing three of the very best spreaders.
Four best fertilizer spreader for lawn
Using Fertilizer on your lawn
We have already discussed why you should fertilize your lawn. But how frequently should you do it? When it comes to fertilizing your lawn, you should always follow a competent schedule. But before you begin, you must know what type of grass you have in your lawn.
Depending on your grass type, your fertilizing schedule might vary. Also, determine your lawn size, and you must do a soil test. After you have done all this, it should be easy to determine what kind of fertilizer your lawn actually needs, and then fertilize accordingly.
Quick tip- if you have cold season grasses, fertilize heavily in the fall and lightly in spring. If you have warm season grasses, then start fertilizing when the grass starts to turn green in the spring. For more information, google.
To maximize the fertilizing effect, you should follow a regular schedule. Just google it, and you will find tons of resources on the internet. Always use the internet to your benefit, and pave your way to a greener lawn.
Like everything else, fertilizer spreaders have their own pros and cons. Let’s look a little more in to it:
- Fertilizer spreaders are fast and reliable. If will save you a lot of time and manual labour for a very little cost. So it is always better to use a spreader to fertilize you lawn.
- It is always very important to spread your fertilizer evenly. Fertilizer spreaders help you do exactly that. That way, your grass will get the maximum benefit from the fertilizer you are using.
- You can find great spreaders for very little cost. Hence, it makes your work a whole lot of easier without you having to spend a lot of money. That’s a bonus, don’t you think?
- Fertilizer spreaders aren’t very great when it comes to that little blind spot you have in your garden. To avoid that trouble, keep a handheld spreader handy, or just use your hands.
- Fertilizer spreaders do not work well with clumpy or grainy fertilizers. The mechanism clogs, and you will have to go through extra trouble to make it work again. That is a big disadvantage of fertilizer spreaders.
Nonetheless, these spreaders are definitely worth it.
How to buy
Buying the perfect fertilizer spreader is not a very hard task. You can look into Amazon.com. They have a wide range of fertilizer spreaders. If that’s not an option, then try your local dealer who sells gardening appliances.
However, before you buy your fertilizer spreader, make sure to explore your options. Determine your budget- decide whether you want a cheap one or an expensive one. Discuss it with experienced gardeners, and check out customer reviews. All these steps will help you find the suitable fertilizer spreader for your lawn.
Maintenance and troubleshooting
Maintaining your fertilizer spreader, along with troubleshooting it wherever necessary, can be a somewhat daunting job. But follow the following rules, and you’ll be fine.
- Oil the moving parts regularly: Parts like grease fittings, chains and sprockets should be oiled on a regular basis in order to keep your spreader up and running. Otherwise there’s a chance that it will get stuck. Doing this properly will also ensure that you’d able to avoid troubleshooting in this regard as well.
- Empty it before storing: Never leave your spreader out in the open. Before storing it away, make sure that you have emptied out the remaining fertilizers and other materials.
- Keep it dry and clean: Watery residues might make your spreader rusty. So always keep it clean and dry.
- Keep the chains in check: Chains are a vital part of your pull behind spreader. Oil, fasten or loosen the chains if needed.
- Change the worn out parts: For the longevity of your spreader, make sure to check the parts regularly and change them if needed.
- Does it work with all kind of gardening material?
Yes, as long as they don’t clog the mechanism
- What setting should I use on my spreader?
Depends on your speed, but it is always better to experiment
- Can the spreaders be used for salt in winter?
- Can these spreaders be used to remove snow by spreading salt?
- Can the handheld spreader be used for bird seeds?
Only if the size of the seeds are about the size of a bee.
- Does the walk behind spreader adjust to narrow places in the lawn?
Yes. Just slow the drop rate and walk slower.
- How hard it is to assemble the products?
It is not very hard. It should take about 1.5 to 2 hours.
- Can these products be used for spreading compost?
they can, but it is better not to. They might clog up.
- Will the tow behind spreader damage my tractor?
No, it won’t.
- Can the spreader be attached to a truck?
All in all, a great fertilizer spreader will your greatest friend who will always be with you on your journey to a great lawn. So, you should spend your time deliberating which spreader will suit you the most, and get that spreader without hesitation. Think of it as an investment in your lawn. Also, it is better to be safe than sorry.
We hope you can find the best fertilizer spreader for your lawn. May the force be with you.